Join us at our first digital fundraiser, Checkpoint Celebrates! 2020: Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop, and help us to keep going against the odds.
- Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020
- Recommended Dinner Time: 7pm – 8.30pm
- Show Time: 8.30pm sharp
- Location: Your home!
- Booking: S$500 per person
Help us build a canon of local work that will lead the way for the next generation of storytellers, and reignite the landscape of artmaking in Singapore. Every booking is a boost that keeps us going and another reason to celebrate!
UNSTOPPABLE ENTERTAINMENT, UNDENIABLY CHECKPOINT
Our Artistic Directors Huzir Sulaiman and Claire Wong will be hosting the evening, and bringing you through our riveting lineup, featuring familiar faces like weish, Jo Tan, and Rebekah Sangeetha Dorai.
As you gather in your homes with friends and family,
- groove to new jazz-fuelled renditions of Checkpoint’s original music from our live nine-piece band led by weish, including a track from the never-before-seen The Nuclear Family;
- explore the nuances of kinship with an excerpt from Keluarga Besar En. Karim (The Karims) by Associate Artist Adib Kosnan;
- laugh along to the wildly quirky humour of Associate Artist Luke Somasundram in selected sketches, where all inhibitions are left behind.
FOOD FROM THE HEART TO NOURISH THE SOUL
Choose from five specially curated menus of mouthwatering dishes, lovingly prepared and delivered fresh, straight to your doorstep.
Sharing Menu (For 6 or more diners): Gather your friends and family at home, to celebrate friendship and kinship. Entertain your guests with a sharing menu of gourmet delights from culinary icon Violet Oon Singapore or heritage dishes of Pulau Semakau served by Orang Laut.
Individual Sets (For 1 or more diners): For a more intimate dining experience, select from two of the most luxurious restaurants at Shangri-La Hotel! Indulge in the tradition of fine Japanese cuisine from NAMI Restaurant & Bar or delight in la dolce vita with perfectly-balanced flavours (including a superb vegetarian option) from Waterfall Ristorante Italiano.
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP
This pandemic has hit us financially, and the outlook continues to be difficult and uncertain. Despite the setbacks, Checkpoint Theatre can’t stop and won’t stop our mission of bringing you original Singapore stories of the highest quality, with honesty, depth, and nuance.
In 2020 alone, we pivoted from cancellations of live stagings to making work for the digital medium, putting up 3 main digital productions, hosting over 20 online masterclasses, talks, and school engagements, and giving work to close to 50 freelancers to keep the theatre scene alive. But there is still a long way to go.
Every dollar donated will go towards:
- New Works, New Ideas
- Producing new original work across multidisciplinary platforms;
- Creative and crew fees, equipment and venue hire, promotion and post-production costs.
- Mentorship and Development
- Developing new writing and original work for different media;
- Providing professional training opportunities to new creatives and storytellers.
- Publications and Public Engagement
- Building resources for students, schools, the arts industry and the public;
- Publications and public engagement programmes (talks, workshops, masterclasses).
BE PART OF CHECKPOINT CELEBRATES! 2020
Help us overcome the odds by:
- Booking a seat or hosting a party
- Donating to us through giving.sg
- Becoming a sponsor or making an in-kind donation (email us!)
Whether through donations or ticket sales, you are entitled to a 250% tax deduction and be matched by the Cultural Matching Fund.
Government funding covers only part of our rigorous development and production process. Your support is vital to us and our commitment to uplifting original Singapore stories.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR F&B PARTNERS: