Checkpoint Theatre is holding auditions for Brown Boys Don’t Tell Jokes, a new play written by Associate Artist Myle Yan Tay and directed by Huzir Sulaiman.
Five friends reunite on the eve of an election. Tensions flare and secrets emerge, testing loyalties and values. What does it mean to be a friend? Does our past dictate our future? What does it mean to be a brown boy in Singapore?
Actors should have the ability to deliver nuanced, naturalistic performances speaking complex text in English, and should have a comfort with and aptitude for contemporary physical and vocal performance techniques.
Actors must be available from 6 Feb to 2 Apr 2023 for rehearsals and performances. Rehearsals are held both during the day and at night.
We are looking for brown actors with a playing age of 27 to 37 years old for the following roles:
– TESH, the Politician: Chindian. He has called everyone together in his home, during this landmark election, where he is the frontrunner for a SMC. Calm, well-behaved, proper.
– DEV / DAVE, the Musician: Indian. Was signed to a label a year before and is on the rise. His latest track has recently gone viral online. Braggadocious, loud. A player.
– FIZZY, the Activist: Malay. Runs a political Instagram account. Constantly online. Rude, aggressive, stubborn.
– ADAM, the Academic: Malay. Studying for his masters. Doesn’t like to rock the boat. Reticent, sharp.
– SCOTT, the Returnee: Indian. Studied to become a therapist in the USA, and then stayed there with his American wife. Awkward, quiet, conflict averse.
Please email your CV and video recording(s) of 2 short monologues of your choice
Subject: Brown Boys Audition: <Your Name>
Deadline: Wed 19 Oct 2022 at 12:00pm
Each monologue should be under 3 minutes in length; one serious, and the other comedic. Singapore texts are preferred. In your video recording, you are welcome to also tell us a bit about yourself, whatever you would like us to know.
Priority will be given to performers with relevant training and experience. A confirmation email will be sent to shortlisted applicants, with the materials to prepare for the audition.
First round: Tue 1 Nov 2022 – Fri 4 Nov 2022, 11am-5pm
Callbacks: Wed 9 Nov 2022 – Fri 11 Nov 2022, 11am-5pm
Goodman Arts Centre, 90 Goodman Road, Blk B #02-03, Singapore 439053